Here’s a lightened-up version of the classic Italian-American chicken dish made in the slow cooker. You just toss everything into the slow cooker and in four hours you’ve got an easy, healthy and delicious dinner ready and waiting. Easy enough for a weeknight dinner, this slow cooker chicken marsala is impressive enough to serve to guests. (If you’re not convinced here’s a skinny chicken marsala recipe for the stovetop.)
SKINNY ON SLOW COOKER CHICKEN MARSALA
The recipe called for marsala wine, but didn’t specify dry or sweet. According to Betty Crocker you should use sweet marsala to prevent the dish from being too acidic. Unfortunately, I read this after pouring in dry marsala. We both thought it was delicious anyway.
Cooking chicken breasts in the slow cooker can be tricky. They’re usually done in four hours or less. If you overcook them they’ll be dry and stringy. I substituted chicken tenders for the chicken breasts with good results. According to my calculations each serving has 235 calories and *5 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 ounces each)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup Marsala wine (Note: The recipe didn’t specify whether to use dry or sweet marsala. Betty Crocker suggests sweet marsala, but I inadvertently used dry. Several commenters have complained that the flavor of the wine was overpowering for them. If in doubt, I would use ½ cup chicken broth and ¼ cup marsala instead.)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley, for garnish, optional
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-Quart
- Coat slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray. Combine the olive oil, shallot and garlic in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a shallow dish stir together the flour, salt and black pepper. Pound the chicken to an even thickness and coat it with the flour mixture and add to the slow cooker. Scatter mushrooms over chicken and add the Marsala.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until the chicken is tender. To thicken the sauce, turn the slow cooker up to HIGH. Combine the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons water and stir it into the chicken mixture. Cover and cook until the sauce has thickened 10 to 25 minutes. Stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.