Easy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup that could also be made on the stovetop! This soup is lighter than buffalo wings with all the robust flavor. Plus buffalo chicken soup is so versatile, you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes – 4 hours
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot cayenne sauce
- 1/4 cup good blue cheese dressing (could also use low-cal dressing)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup crispy tortilla chip strips
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes to soften.
- Slow Cooker Method: Place the sautéed garlic and onions, carrots, celery, chicken breasts, franks hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, and chicken stock in a crockpot. Cover and turn on. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 4-5 hours.
- Stovetop Method: Place the sautéed garlic and onions, carrots, celery, chicken breasts, franks hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, and chicken stock in a stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the soup has cooked, take the chicken breasts out. Using two forks, shred the chicken and place back in the soup.
- To serve: Scoop the Buffalo Chicken Soup into bowls and sprinkle with crunchy tortilla strips, crumbled blue cheese, and green onions.
1) If you can’t find crispy tortilla strips, you can use crumbled tortilla chips or make your own by cutting corn tortillas into strips and quickly frying them.
2) No nutritional information is provided. I don’t calculate nutritional facts on any of my recipes, and this one can vary greatly based on the toppings and dressing.