Burgoo is a favorite in Kentucky, especially on Derby Day, because it’s a hearty stew recipe that will satisfy comfort food cravings and will fill you up. There are many variations of Burgoo, but not all of them are healthy. This bean Burgoo recipe is our clean-eating version.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 197 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 15 mg | Sodium: 139 mg | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 13 g | Previous Points: 3 | Points Plus: 5 |
- 1 cup (dry) 13-bean mixture, optional – 2 (15 ounce) cans lima beans or other legumes, drained
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, fat-free, low-sodium
- 3 (1.5 pounds) chicken breast filets, cut into 2″ cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 (medium) red potatoes, cut into 2″ cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
Sort beans and discard any with blemishes. Rinse beans and place in a large pot with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Cover beans, and soak in water overnight. Drain and rinse beans.
Add beans and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours.