Our chicken noodle soup recipe puts a healthy spin on an American classic. This soup is great for when you are feeling under the weather or when you just have a craving for warm comfort food.
Serve it alone or with sides, like chewy whole grain bread or a leafy green salad. You can even bake up some kale chips or sweet potato crunchies if you like your soup accompanied by a crunch.
Yields: 8 Servings | Serving size: 1 Cup | Calories: 149 | Previous Points: 2 | Points Plus: 4 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fats: 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 22 mg | Sodium: 150 mg | Carbohydrates: 14 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 gm | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 11 g
- 2 pounds cut up chicken, skinless and boneless, cut into 2″ pieces (raw chicken) I used breasts for this recipe but feel free to use dark meat or a combination of breasts and thighs
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth, fat free
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped, Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, broken into small pieces
Add all ingredients, except the noodles, in the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or until carrots are tender. The last hour of cooking time, add the broken pasta and continue cooking one additional hour or until pasta is al dente, or to desired doneness.