Our top-rated Momma’s Roadhouse Chili makes for a fantastic dinner on a busy weeknight! It’s a classic chili, packed with meat and beans that fill you up on a frigid winter’s night. It’s an easy chili recipe that requires little prep time. Just brown the meat and toss all ingredients in the slow cooker. It’s that simple. This chili version was created from an old family recipe that used sausage instead of ground turkey. We’ve included our recipe for spicy sausage if you’d like to try the original version.
Yields: 6 servings| Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 7 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 31 mg | Sodium: 183 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 gm | Dietary Fiber: 13 gm | Sugars: 6 gm | Protein: 19 gm
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, about 93% lean (optional, lean ground chicken or beef)
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2 can (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drain
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drain
- 1 (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 ( 6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato juice or veggie juice
- 3 cups water (for a thicker chili, use 2 1/2 cups)
Cook turkey and onion in a skillet on medium heat, breaking up into small chunks. Cook until no longer pink. Drain off fat and discard.
Add cooked meat and all other ingredients to slow cooker, cook on low 6-8 hours. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended. Add diced onions and cheddar cheese, if desired.
Note: If you prefer spicier chili use our recipe for Turkey Sausage in place of using just ground turkey.