This chili is the perfect recipe for a busy day. Throw it together in the morning or freeze it ahead of time for a morning when you can’t afford to open cans and get messy. There’s simply nothing faster than adding a frozen meal to your slow cooker.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1, 14.5oz can of tomato sauce
- 1, 14.5oz can of petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2, 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped (about one cup)
- 1 lime
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for topping)
- freshly shredded cheddar cheese (for topping – optional)
- Brown ground beef in a pan.
- Pour tomato sauce into a bowl and add garlic, chili powder, and ground cumin. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked beef, seasoned tomato sauce, can of diced tomatoes, beans, and onion to your slow cooker.
- Zest the lime and add the zest to the slow cooker. Cut the lime in half and add all of its juice to the slow cooker (I recommend squeezing over a small strainer or bowl first to catch the seeds).
- Cook on low 8 hours.
Serve with chopped, fresh cilantro and shredded cheese!