Hate waking up early on weekends? Wish Sunday brunch would magically appear when you finally do roll out of bed? Problems solved, thanks to this cheesy sausage breakfast casserole cooked in a crock pot, an adaptation of our oven breakfast casserole. Depending on what time you want to eat, you could start cooking right before going to bed, or prep and refrigerate the ingredients the night before, then pour the mixture into the slow cooker in the morning. Chill the rosé, a six-pack of Franziskaner, or maybe even a cucumber salad. This is a perfect base for a lazy day lounging at home.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound uncooked pork breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 12 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard, such as Colman’s
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces French or sourdoughbaguette, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Cooking spray
- 1Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s no longer pink and is starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- 1Place the eggs in a large bowl and whisk until they’re broken up. Add the milk, mustard, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the reserved sausage, bread, and cheeses and stir to combine.
- 1Coat a medium or large slow cooker with cooking spray and pour in the casserole mixture. Cook for 4 hours on high.