Crunchy muesli that the whole family will adore. Beats any store bought Muesli hands down and much cheaper too. PS: If you enjoy ‘Fast Food’ and lots of sweet things, please don’t try this recipe. It is quite possibly a recipe that is not designed to appeal to an American palate. It is more of a low fat/low sugar version, a breakfast that will keep you going for hours without the hit of a low blood sugar levels within a short period of time. I find that when I have this for breakfast, I’m not hungry again until 1 – 2 pm. Enjoy!!
PREP : 10 MINS
COOK : 1 HR
- 5cups rolled oats
- 1cup baking natural bran
- 1cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2cup coconut (desiccated, thread or slices)
- 1⁄2cup raw sugar (white will not work)
- 4tablespoons oil (I use olive)
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- sesame seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- linseeds, Use any mixture of the above up to 1 1/2
- dried apricot
- dried cherries
- dried apple, etc. About 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Pre-heat the crock pot on high for 20 minutes.
- Combine grains, seeds, nuts, sugar, oil and vanilla in the crock-pot.
- Add the oil and vanilla and stir thoroughly.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for about 2 hours stirring once or twice while cooking.
- Remove lid after cooking is finished, stir thoroughly and allow to cool completely before stirring in the dried fruit and then storing in an air-tight container. The Tupperware cereal container is perfect.