Squash and apple are brilliant additions to this creamy, beer-spiked soup, made extra rich with three kinds of cheese.
- Prep Time : 15 MIN
- Total Time : 2 HR 15 MIN
- Servings : 6
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apple, finely diced
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 3/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 can (12 oz) beer (I used pumpkin beer)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 10 oz cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese (6 oz)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese, if desired
- 1 ) Spray or grease 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, apple, squash, carrots, chicken broth, milk, beer, crushed red pepper flakes, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- 2 ) Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or High heat setting 2 to 4 hours. Squash should be tender.
- 3) Transfer soup to blender; puree until smooth. Return to slow cooker.
- 4) Add tortellini and cheeses; stir to combine. Cover; cook on High heat setting about 10 minutes or until tortellini is soft.
- 5) Ladle into bowls; garnish with extra cheese, if desired. Serve with crusty bread.