How do you make chicken wild rice soup even better? Make it in the slow cooker, and add bacon!
- Prep Time : 30 MIN
- Total Time : 7 HR 30 MIN
- Servings : 8
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon, chopped (4 oz)
- 1 tablespoon Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Montreal chicken seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (20 oz) boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
- 2 cartons (32 oz each) Progresso™ chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 bunch sliced green onions, whites and greens separated (1/2 cup whites, 1/2 cup greens)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (16 oz)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ) Spray 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; cover and refrigerate.
- 2) Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix flour, Montreal chicken seasoning and salt. Add chicken, and toss to coat; set aside.
- 3) Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken to skillet, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until browned on first side. Turn chicken, and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until beginning to brown. Meanwhile, mix stock, wild rice, green onion whites, celery and carrot in slow cooker. Refrigerate green onion greens.
- 4) Add chicken and pan drippings to rice mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours. Chop chicken, and return to cooker; stir in 3 cups of the cheese and the whipping cream. Divide soup among 8 bowls. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese, reserved bacon and green onion greens.