Try this Italian twist on stuffed peppers using farro and turkey sausage.
- Prep Time : 40 MIN
- Total Time : 4 HR 40 MIN
- Servings : 4
- 4 large red, orange or yellow bell peppers (7 to 8 oz each)
- 12 oz sweet Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed (3 links)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearled farro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (3 oz)
- 1) Cut 1/2 inch off top stem end of each bell pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. Remove stems, and chop any bell pepper from tops (about 1 1/2 cups); set aside.
- 2) In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and crushed red pepper over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain. Remove to large bowl; set aside.
- 3) In same skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic; cook and stir about 3 minutes. Add chopped bell pepper; cook 2 minutes. Add zucchini; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, pepper and salt. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted. Remove from heat.
- 4) Add farro to sausage in bowl; mix to combine. Add onion mixture; mix well. Gently stir in 2 tablespoons of the basil, the oregano and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Divide farro mixture evenly among peppers.
- 5) Pour 1/3 cup water in 5- to 6-quart oval slow cooker. Place stuffed peppers upright in slow cooker, leaning against each other and the slow cooker to prevent them from falling over.
- 6) Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until peppers and farro are desired tenderness. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over tops of peppers. Cover; let stand 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Using tongs and slotted spoon, remove peppers to serving plates. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil.