All of our favorite Mexican flavors and textures come together beautifully in this hearty layered slow-cooker bake, which we love topped with chunky salsa and sliced avocado.
- Prep Time : 30 MIN
- Total Time : 4 HR 30 MIN
- Servings : 8
- 1 lb bulk chorizo or sweet Italian sausage, cooked, drained
- 9 corn tortillas
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded, finely chopped, or 1 finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup Old El Paso Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
- 1) Spray 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place 3 tortillas in slow cooker, tearing if needed to cover bottom.
- 2) In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and chile with whisk. Reserve 2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper, 2 tablespoons green onions and 3/4 cup cheese; set aside.
- 3) Top tortillas in slow cooker with half of the sausage, remaining bell pepper, green onions and cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 3 tortillas, tearing if needed to cover mixture. Pour egg mixture over tortillas.
- 4) Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or on High heat setting 2 to 3 hours or until temperature reaches 160°F and center is set.
- 5) Sprinkle with reserved cheese, bell pepper, green onions and the cilantro. Remove foil before serving by loosening edges with table knife. Serve with salsa and avocado slices, if desired.