This slow cooker chicken recipe brings together the best of Moroccan flavors and fresh ingredients. Moroccan tagine, or slow-cooked stews, often contain a mix of vegetables, dried fruits, spices, and poultry or meat. Moroccan cuisine also includes olives and garbanzo beans. All of these ingredients come together for a nutrient-rich, tasty stew.
Yields: 4 to 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-2 pieces of chicken and 1 cup of the stew | Calories: 444 | Previous Points: 9 | Points Plus: 8 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 188 mg | Sodium: 343 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 15 g | Protein: 51 g
- 8-10 (3 pounds) bone-in chicken thighs (or combination of thighs and drumsticks), skin removed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 medium to large zucchini, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken stock, low-sodium preferred
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans/ chickpeas (or cooked chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried, chopped dates or whole raisins
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 4 cups cooked wholewheat couscous or brown rice, to serve
Add chicken stock, spices, onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes, zucchini, tomato paste, and carrots to the slow cooker and stir. Add the chickpeas, dried fruit, chicken, and salt and pepper.
Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is tender, and the vegetables are cooked through.