This is a great stew to make when you don’t have time to cook. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and come home hours later to a comforting meal that is full of flavor. Tip: Any type of bean will work in this recipe. I use a 6½ quart slow cooker. If you have a smaller version of this appliance, simply cut the ingredients in half.
Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories:428 | Total Fat:3.4 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 344 mg | Carbohydrates: 78 g | Dietary Fiber: 20.1 g | Sugars: 11.1 g | Protein: 24.8 g |Previous Points: 8 | Points Plus: 10 |
- 1½ cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans
- 1½ cups cooked or canned black beans
- 1½ cups cooked or canned red kidney beans
- 2 onions
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 cups canned no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups canned no-salt added tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups full-fat canned coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
1. Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, black beans, and kidney beans. Transfer to a 6½ quart slow cooker.
2. Chop onions and mince garlic.
3. Peel sweet potato and chop into large chunks.
4. Wash cauliflower and divide into florets.
5. Transfer onions, garlic, potato, and cauliflower to slow cooker.
6. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, allspice, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, ginger, and oregano. Cook on high for 6 hours. Stir in coconut milk.
7. Just before serving, pull leaves from cilantro and chop. Cut limes into wedges.
8. Serve stew hot with cilantro and lime wedges.