Do you want a truly wholesome recipe without tons of prep time? Are you looking for comfort food that pads your heart and soul, not your butt and thighs? We hear you. That is why we have brought you our ultra-comforting yet refreshingly easy version of a beloved crock-pot classic. Our Crock-Pot Rustic Chicken Stew will warm your soul and deliver that homey goodness you long for. And it calls for an incredibly simple preparation process. What more could you ask for?
Skinless chicken thighs provide flavor, minus the fat. After a minimal amount of slicing and dicing (or buy your veggies prepared!), toss everything into the crock-pot and this tasty, heart-warming chicken stew dish will practically cook itself. Freshly cracked pepper adds some zing. Don’t be afraid to play with more or less spice depending on your mood.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 386 | Points Plus: 10 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 669 mg | Cholesterol: 71 mg | Carbohydrates: 47 g | Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 23 g |
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (optional chicken breast filets)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and round slices
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes or 8 cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves, torn in half
- 3 cups chicken broth, fat-free
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Combine all the ingredients, except the cornstarch and the extra-virgin olive oil, in the crock-pot then set on low for 8 hours, or high 4 hours.
When the chicken is almost cooked, combine the cornstarch with one cup of the stew liquid in a small bowl. Whisk until the mixture becomes smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture to the chicken stew, stir and cook until it thickens up slightly.
Before serving, drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil and stir to combine.