Nothing hits the spot on a chilly winter night like a hearty bowl of stew. Boost the feel-good factor with this lighter version.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 pounds beef chuck, fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker and add beef, tomatoes, broth, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cover and cook on high, 6 hours, stirring occasionally. To serve, divide brown rice and stew among six bowls and top with yogurt and parsley.