- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the slow cooker
- 2 cups raw white rice, such as jasmine
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium broth or stock (chicken or vegetable), or water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, medium dice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, for garnishing
- Warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the raw rice, and stir to coat the grains.Add the onion and sauté, stirring constantly, until the rice turns a pale golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a slow cooker crock with olive oil. Add the browned rice to the crock, along with the broth, tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Stir, cover, and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, checking after 2 hours to see how well the rice is absorbing the liquid. Cook until all the moisture is absorbed and the rice is tender. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest