Serve this Italian mushroom-laden classic with plenty of pasta to sop up all the chunky tomato sauce.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 green, yellow, or red sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- Hot cooked pasta or rice
- Combine mushrooms, celery, carrot, onions, sweet pepper, and garlic in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Place chicken on vegetables. Combine broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, oregano, bay leaves, salt, and pepper; pour over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken; cover to keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaves. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in undrained tomatoes and the tomato paste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. Serve vegetable mixture over chicken and cooked pasta.
- For Easy Cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
(Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore)
Servings Per Recipe 6, fiber (g) 2, calcium (mg) 50, sodium (mg) 291, vit. C (mg) 22, iron (mg) 2, carb. (g) 13, pro. (g) 25, chol. (mg) 69, Fat, total (g) 6, sat. fat (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 214, vit. A (IU) 0