We adapted a classic French recipe of chicken cooked in wine for this slow-cooker specialty. Burgundy flavors the meaty chicken and forms the base of the gravy.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 (1/2 of a 2.2-ounce package) envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 31/2-inch sticks
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional)
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Lightly coat an unheated large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken thighs, several at a time, in the hot skillet until brown. Drain off fat.
- Place chicken thighs in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with dry soup mix. Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots. Pour wine over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If desired, serve with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with parsley.
- For Easy Cleanup: Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
(Slow Cooker Coq au Vin)
Servings Per Recipe 4, Fat, total (g) 8, sodium (mg) 782, chol. (mg) 161, sat. fat (g) 2, fiber (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 320, carb. (g) 15, pro. (g) 42