- 1 2 1/2 – 3 – pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped kosher-style dill pickle
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/3 cup German-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth
- Hot cooked noodles or cooked spaetzle
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet brown the meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain fat.
- In the slow cooker, combine the carrot, onion, celery and pickle. Place the meat on top of vegetables. In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup red wine, the mustard, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Pour over meat and vegetables in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat and vegetables from the cooker and place on a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
- For gravy: Transfer cooking liquid to a 2-quart saucepan. Skim fat from cooking liquid and discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, stir together flour and the 2 tablespoons wine. Stir into the mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve meat, vegetables and gravy with noodles. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
(Slow Cooker German-Style Beef Roast)
Servings Per Recipe 8, vit. A (IU) 75, Fat, total (g) 7, chol. (mg) 84, vit. C (mg) 5, Thiamin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 31, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 10, Niacin (mg) 5, sat. fat (g) 2, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, fiber (g) 2, sugar (g) 3, cal. (kcal) 256, Folate (µg) 24, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 467, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 4, calcium (mg) 40, Potassium (mg) 774, iron (mg) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0