- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 6 ounces kasseri or feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 recipe Greek Tomato Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl beat eggs with a fork. Stir in bread crumbs, green olives, black olives, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef and ground lamb; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Shape meat mixture into a ball around each cheese cube, being sure to completely enclose the cheese. Arrange meatballs in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Drain well.
- Place meatballs in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Pour Greek Tomato Sauce over meatballs in slow cooker, gently tossing to coat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or on high-heat setting for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm setting or low-heat setting for up to 2 hours. Serve with decorative toothpicks.
Greek Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 8 – ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, oregano, and cinnamon. Heat through.
(Greek Stuffed Meatballs)
Potassium (mg) 222, sodium (mg) 448, iron (mg) 1, fiber (g) 1, sugar (g) 2, calcium (mg) 40, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, chol. (mg) 30, Folate (µg) 8, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sat. fat (g) 3, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 2, Niacin (mg) 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 104, Riboflavin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 6, vit. A (IU) 243, carb. (g) 5, Fat, total (g) 7, vit. C (mg) 4