- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrot (3 medium)
- 1 small red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 -3 teaspoons red curry paste
- 4 garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Hot cooked rice
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, place onions, carrot, and sweet pepper. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, peanut butter, lime peel, lime juice, soy sauce, tapioca, ginger, curry paste, and garlic until smooth. Pour over all in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in coconut milk and peas. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. If desired, sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
(Hot and Spicy Braised Peanut Chicken)
Servings Per Recipe 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, chol. (mg) 126, sat. fat (g) 7, Folate (µg) 125, cal. (kcal) 444, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Niacin (mg) 14, fiber (g) 4, Potassium (mg) 740, sugar (g) 7, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, sodium (mg) 708, pro. (g) 37, Fat, total (g) 15, carb. (g) 39, vit. A (IU) 5491, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 4, vit. C (mg) 30, calcium (mg) 71