- 2 -2 pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, skin removed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15 – ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Place chicken in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with cannellini beans, fennel, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and crushed red pepper. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, white wine, tomato paste, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
(Italian Braised Chicken with Fennel and Cannellini)
Servings Per Recipe 6, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, sodium (mg) 777, Potassium (mg) 777, fiber (g) 7, sugar (g) 5, calcium (mg) 121, vit. A (IU) 680, carb. (g) 23, Fat, total (g) 4, pro. (g) 25, vit. C (mg) 1, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, Niacin (mg) 6, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, chol. (mg) 68, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, cal. (kcal) 225, iron (mg) 3, sat. fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 32