- 1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 1 mango, halved, seeded, peeled, and diced
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup mango nectar
- Hot cooked rice
- Fresh pineapple wedges (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Mexican crema (optional)
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker place onion and mango. Top with chicken, chipotle pepper, garlic, salt, cumin, ginger, and cinnamon. Pour tomatoes, chicken broth, and mango nectar over all. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 21/2 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken from cooker; cool slightly.
- Remove chicken bones. Discard bones and shred chicken. Return shredded chicken to cooking liquid.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken mixture to shallow bowls. Add a big spoonful of cooked white rice to each bowl. Spoon broth around rice and chicken and serve, if desired, with pineapple wedges, lime wedges, sliced green onions, and Mexican crema.
- Other serving suggestions: For Mango-Chicken Tinga, add it to huevos rancheros. Use it as a filling for burritos, enchiladas, empanadas, or tortas. Serve the tinga on warmed corn or small flour tortillas for tacos. Serve it on crisp corn tortillas for tostadas.
Servings Per Recipe 6, Mark as Free Exchange () 0, pro. (g) 22, carb. (g) 42, Fat, total (g) 4, sugar (g) 16, fiber (g) 3, sat. fat (g) 1, chol. (mg) 86, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Monounsaturated fat (g) 1, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Potassium (mg) 477, sodium (mg) 789, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, vit. A (IU) 1361, vit. C (mg) 33, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1, cal. (kcal) 296, Folate (µg) 85, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Niacin (mg) 7, iron (mg) 3, calcium (mg) 61