- 212-ounce bottles of beer (preferably lager)
- 1tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1pound dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2pounds boneless pork butt (pork shoulder)
- kosher salt
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1/2cup store-bought refrigerated fresh salsa
- 1/4cup fresh cilantro
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the beer, 3 cups water, the chilies, adobo sauce, cumin, onion, beans, pork, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the beans are tender and the pork pulls apart easily, 4 to 5 1/2 hours. Using a fork, separate the pork into large pieces.
- Divide among individual bowls and top with the sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.
Note: This recipe was tested in a 6-quart slow cooker. Because different models cook at different rates, the cooking time above is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, as the escaped heat will significantly slow the cooking). If the food is not done, cover and cook to the end of the suggested time range. If using a slow-cooker smaller than 6 quarts, the cooking time may take an additional hour or more, and results may vary.
- Calories609 calories
- Calories37 calories from fat
- Fat25 g
- Sat Fat10 g
- Cholesterol94 mg
- Sodium599 mg
- Protein36 g
- Carbohydrate55 g
- Sugar5 g
- Fiber12 g