- 3 to 4 pounds boneless beef eye of round, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled, trimmed, and roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with the side of a knife
- ½ to ¾ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional but tasty)
- 1 can of 14.5 ounces(or 1½ cups) fire roasted tomatoes or petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 jar julienne cut sun dried tomatoes 8.5 ounces packed in oil
- 1 jar green olives (5.75 ounces), drained and roughly chopped
- 1 jar capers (3.5 ounces) , drained and rinsed
- 4 to 5 strips of jarred roasted red peppers
- Sprinkle the trimmed beef round generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan set over high heat. Sear all sides of the beef round for several minutes, or until browned on all sides. Use the tongs to transfer the roast to the slow-cooker. Return the pan to the burner and lower the heat to medium low. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sautee just until fragrant. Add the beef broth, red wine, sundried tomatoes AND their oil, green olives, capers, roasted red peppers, and tomatoes and raise the heat back up to HIGH. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any of the beautiful brown bits the beef left behind. Allow the mixture to boil for one minute, then pour over the beef round in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Carefully transfer the beef to a rimmed plate or dish. Use two forks to shred the beef before returning it to the slow-cooker and tossing to distribute everything evenly.
- Serve over polenta, noodles, rice, or on crusty rolls.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest