For the pork:
- 3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- garlic salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ounce can pineapple tidbits, undrained
For the Pineapple Barbecue Sauce:
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño, seeds & membranes removed, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh pineapple chunks
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Trim fat from pork and pierce all over surface with a knife. Liberally season all sides with garlic salt and pepper and place in slow cooker. Pour can of pineapple tidbits and juice on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- An hour or so before pork is done, prepare Pineapple Barbecue Sauce. Combine pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, jalapeño, and cilantro in a medium pot. Bring to a boi, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Stir in ketchup, vinegar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and pepper. Cook on low for 15 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and place on cutting board. Discard fat, cut meat into chunks with a knife, and then shred chunks with two forks. Drain liquid from slow cooker (reserving about a cup) and add shredded meat back to crock pot. Stir in Pineapple Barbecue Sauce. You may add a splash of reserved cooking liquid if sauce seems too thick. Heat on low for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until warm.