- 3.5 lb boneless roast
- 3 Tbsp favorite spice rub
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 C beef stock, reduced to ½ C
- ½ C (4 oz) balsalmic vinegar
- ¼ C water or good red wine to deglaze your skillet
- 4 Large white onions, peeled and thickly sliced about ½ inch rings
- 2 C baby carrots
- ½ C (4 oz) tomato paste
- *3 sprigs fresh rosemary for garnish
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and just prior to adding your seasoned roast, add in the butter
- Season the roast all over with your seasoning
- Brown the roast on all sides in your cast iron skillet (cast iron skillets really are the only thing for true, delicious browning – says this southern girl)
- While the roast is browning, bring the beef stock to a boil, once the beef stock has boiled – lower the heat a tad and allow it to reduce to ½ C.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you slice the onions and deal with the browning roast.
- Place the sliced onions and carrots on the bottom of the slow cooker
- Top with the seasoned, browned roast
- Use ¼ C Water or Red Wine to deglaze your skillet – because as we all know, that’s where some serious flavor and yumminess resides…
- Mix the ½ C balsamic vinegar and ½ C tomato paste with the cooled beef stock and deglazed pan drippings until well blended, pour over the roast
- Cover and cook over low for 6 to 8 hours (or 8 to 10 hours) depending upon your slow cooker’s settings.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest