- 1.5 to 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 16 ounces sliced and frozen bell peppers, thawed
- 2 tbsp garlic olive oil (sub olive oil and one diced garlic clove)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add the spices and the olive oil to a small mixing bowl and combine.
- In the slow cooker place the thawed bell peppers on the bottom. On top of the peppers spread the chicken out in one layer.
- Pour the spice and olive oil mixture over the top of the chicken and with the back of a spoon spread the mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- When the chicken is done grab two forks. While still in the slow cooker, using the forks, pull apart/shred the chicken.
- Turn the oven on to a High Broil. With a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the slow cooker (draining of the liquid as you go) and place it in a lightly greased cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet. Place under broil on middle rack for 3-5 minutes until beginning to brown and crisp. Carefully remove from oven, and serve alongside grain-free or gluten-free tortillas and toppings.