- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 2 tsp chili powder, divided
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 medium red bell pepper, poblano pepper & onion diced
- olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter or light butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 [10 oz] package of saffron rice [I used Mahatma]
- 1 [14 oz] can chicken broth
- 1 [10 oz] can cream of celery soup
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- chopped chives or green onions for garnishing
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, one teaspoon each of cumin, garlic salt and chili powder to form a paste. Rub this over the chicken breasts, then set aside.
- On the stove top, saute the diced peppers and onions in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil until they are beginning to brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste then add the butter.
- Add the chicken stock, to deglaze the pan, then stir in 1 teaspoon each of cumin, minced garlic, chili powder and oregano. Simmer just until the spices have dissolved into the stock.
- Mix in the rice, soup, salsa, cilantro, black beans, corn and chopped cilantro. Pour into the slow cooker. Arrange the boneless chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Cook on low for 4½-5 hours. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, remove the lid and sprinkle shredded cheese on top then replace the lid.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole on the side and garnish with chopped chives or green onions before serving.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest