- 480ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsps black peppercorns, slightly crushed
- 500g ice
- 4 (2 1/2 to 3-cm thick) bone-in pork chops
- 2 tsps salt
- 90g dried apple slices
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 360ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
3) Remove the chops from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Season on both sides with salt and set aside. Place the apples in the slow cooker.
4) Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 30cm stainless steel frying pan over a medium-high heat. Saute the pork chops on both sides until golden brown, approximately 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Once browned, place the pork chops into the slow cooker on top of the apples.
5) Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan followed by the onions, and saute until they begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock to the pan to deglaze. Add the black pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Transfer this to the slow cooker, set to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
6) Decrease the heat to low and continue cooking for another 4 1/2 hours or until the pork is tender and falling away from the bone.