- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn’t quite 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 2½ cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 (10¾-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well.
- Add drained macaroni and stir again.
- Set the slow cooker on LOW setting and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Note: be sure to stir the macaroni and cheese a few times so that the cheese mixture stays creamy and does not stick/harden.