- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts or thighs if you prefer
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms of your choice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- ¾ cup white wine * see note
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained ** see note
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (plus 1 tablespoon more for garnish)
- Season the chicken breasts, both sides, with salt and pepper.
- In a dutch oven or large soup pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts skin side down and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes each.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and set a side.
- Lower the heat to medium.
- Add ½ tablespoon olive oil and add mushrooms and onions.
- Sauté until softened, about 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add a small pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and cook until it has reduced slightly.
- Add the tomatoes, the capers and chopped basil, stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts and make sure they well submerged.
- At this stage you can either cook everything in the same pan, or you can transfer everything to a slow cooker.
- If you are cooking in the pan, simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
- If you are using a slow cooker cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil, chopped.
* Chicken or vegetable broth can be substituted for the wine.
** If you are not a fan of capers you can use green olives, or use neither.