- 3 pounds stew beef
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup port wine (I used a tawny port)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Cooked egg noodles
- Toss beef in a large bowl, with salt, pepper and flour until well coated.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat, and the meat to brown in batches. Don’t over crowd the skillet. Transfer to 6 quart slow cooker, along with any flour that remains in the bowl..
- Deglaze skillet with the beef stock and port, making sure to scrape up all of the browned bits of meat from the bottom of the skillet. Next add the dijon mustard and Worcestershire. Pour into the slow cooker.
- In same skillet add butter, sauté onions, mushrooms, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Place in the slow cooker.
- Add the thyme, paprika, and salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high 4 to 5 hours.
- When there is 20 minutes left on the cooking time, add the cream cheese and replace the lid to allow it to melt.
- Stir cream cheese into the sauce and then the sour cream and parsley. Replace lid and cook on low for a few more minutes until heated through.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest