- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 1/2 cup chicken stock, separated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Fresh pomegranate seeds for garnish
- 2 cups saffron rice
- Bring the pomegranate juice to boil in a small sauce pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced by 1/2.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pomegranate juice reduction and molasses. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken thighs in a single layer (you may have to squish them in there) and sprinkle with any remaining spice mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5, or until the chicken is tender.
- 20 mins before the chicken is done, place the rice and chicken stock into a medium pan, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low heat. Cook rice for 17 to 20 mins. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve chicken over cooked rice and garnish with the pomegranate seeds..
Mix the cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, allspice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the chicken and coat evenly.