- 11-12 cups turkey stock from the bones*
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 8-9 medium carrots, shredded (about 4 cups total)
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 2-4 cups cooked turkey
- 1 cup barley, rinsed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- fresh sage, chopped
- fresh rosemary, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Add the turkey stock, celery, onions, and thyme to a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low and simmer covered for about a half hour, or until the celery is tender.
- Use a food processor or cheese grater to shred the carrots and potato. Add to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer, covered for another half hour, or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the turkey (however much you want) and the rinsed barley. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low. Simmer for another 45-60 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (How much you need will really depend on how salty your stock is.)
- Just before serving, stir in chopped sage and rosemary. (look for the photo below to see how much I used.)
Slow Cooker instructions:
- Add the turkey stock, celery, onions, thyme, carrots, and potato to a slow cooker. Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- Add the turkey, barley, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another hour on low, or until barley is tender.
- Add fresh sage and rosemary before serving.Top each serving with parsley.