- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp Dutch processed cocoa powder, plus 1/3 cup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 whipped cream or ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Coat the inside of a 2 ½ quart to 5 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt butter and chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water and mix well. Whisk in 2/3 cup white sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, vanilla extract, salt, milk, and egg yolk. Add flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into the prepared slow cooker and spread it out into an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1/3 cup white sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, brown sugar, and hot water until the sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture over the batter in the slow cooker.
- Place a double layer of paper towels over the opening of the slow cooker to collect any condensation, cover, and cook on High for 1 1/14 to 2 1/4 hours, depending on size of the slow cooker. Even when done, the cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate. The cake is ready when nearly all of it is set and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pot. When taking off the lid, carefully remove the paper towels and try not to let any condensation drip onto the cake. Turn off the power, remove the lid, and let the cake cool for 25 minutes. Serve topped with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest