- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm skim milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Grease a deep metal or glass bowl or 1 lb coffee can (we use a glass 18 cm Pyrex soufflé dish); turn slow-cooker on high to preheat.
- Dissolve yeast in water; combine with milk, oats, salt, oil, honey, egg, and wheat germ.
- Add flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Turn dough immediately into bowl or can; cover LOOSELY with foil.
- In bottom of slow-cooker, place 1/2 cup of water and a trivet or some crumpled foil.
- Place can or bowl on this; cover and bake on High for 3 hours.
- Note: sides of bread brown and crisp beautifully, top will slightly brown and be soft to touch.
- Yield: 1 medium sized loaf of bread.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest