- 4 chicken thighs, optional breasts (remove skin before serving)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce, divided (optional Tamari)
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
Over medium-high heat, in a medium saucepan with the olive oil, brown both sides of the chicken. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce on the chicken while doing so. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
Add the garlic, rice, water, and remaining soy sauce, lemon, and pepper. Make sure that the rice is under the water. Cover, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high 2 to 3 hours. The dish is ready when the chicken is done and the rice tender. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Be sure to discard the skin before serving. Add chopped tomatoes before removing from the slow cooker.
On a serving plate, place the chicken and rice together. Garnish with the chives if using.
Note: If you prefer, use skinless chicken. Or, the skin can be left on for flavor and discarded before serving.