- 2.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Optional: an extra tablespoon each of Dijon and whole grain mustard
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to crock pot.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Pour over the chicken in the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours). If possible, stir it around somewhere halfway through the cooking time. Don’t worry if you’re not there to do this part.
- Once it’s cooked, remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks (or in a stand mixer if you have one).
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir with the sauce. If you like it extra mustardy, like me, add the extra tablespoon each of Dijon mustard and whole grain mustard. Gives it a nice punch of flavor!
- Let the chicken sit in the slow cooker on warm for 10-15 minutes to help soak up the juices. Serve and enjoy!
You can easily double this recipe so you have one batch to eat now and one batch to freeze and eat later.
If freezing, freeze the cooked shredded chicken with some of the sauce so it will stay moist when you defrost it and heat it up.