- 3 large white onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 64 oz Beef Broth (I use reduced sodium)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup dry sherry
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried Thyme)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8 slices dry french bread
- ¾ cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Emmental cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick pan, cook onions, butter and brown sugar over medium low heat until golden and caramelized. (About 20 minutes).
- Once golden, add to the slow cooker along with remaining ingredients except bread and cheeses.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and ladle the soup into bowls. Top with dry bread slices and cheeses. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
If you don’t have dry bread, slice your loaf and dry it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 5-7 minutes. Cool completely.