- For cooking in the crock pot
- 1½ lbs chicken thighs
- 1 lb frozen mango chunks
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 inch ginger, minced OR 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- juice and zest of an orange
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- For adding later
- 1 tablespoon honey (or date paste for Whole30, add at the beginning)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro + more for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 4-5 red bell peppers
- Put the “for cooking in the crock pot” ingredients into the crock pot (I used 6 quart, but a 4-5 should work as well) and cook on high for 4-5 hours, until the chicken is very tender. Lightly shred the chicken right in the crock pot with a few forks.
- If desired you can add 1 tablespoon of honey, I chose not too but think it would be delicious. Mix the arrowroot in with a few tablespoons of water, stir it into the crock pot. This step is optional but it helps to thicken the liquid slightly. Add in the cilantro. Let the flavors meld together for a few minutes as the sauce thickens from the arrowroot.
- Cut the peppers in half and seed. Scoop chicken into the peppers using tongs. You want to leave as much liquid behind as possible (save that for another use).
- Put the prepared peppers on a baking sheet, then bake at 350 degrees until the pepper is just crisp tender (10-12 minutes). Garnish with cilantro, or scallions or chives for even more freshness.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest