- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup red onions, minced
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch (optional for thickening sauce)
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Brown rice for serving
- 1 green onion, (green part only) sliced thin for garnish
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and season with black pepper. In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, 1 tbsp water, sesame oil, onion powder and sriracha hot chili sauce. Pour over chicken and cook on LOW 3-4 hours.
Remove chicken, leaving the sauce in the slow cooker. Shred chicken with two forks; set aside.
In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup water; add to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH until slightly thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes; return chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
Serve chicken and sauce over rice and top with sesame seeds and chopped scallions for garnish.