- 2 (25 ounce) jars of pasta sauce
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 pound UNCOOKED penne pasta
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup freshly chopped basil
- 2 cups of freshly grated parmesan cheese (I bought an 8 oz block and had a little left over)
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese (or use shredded mozzarella)
- Combine ricotta, eggs, and basil in a bowl and stir well
- In a large bowl, combine both pasta sauces and tomato sauce together.
- Grate Parmesan cheese (I used around 2 cups) and set aside.
- Grease the inside of a 6 qt slow cooker (I used vegan butter spread but you can use whatever you have)
- Add 2⅓ cups of pasta sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker
- Add ⅓ of the uncooked penne.
- Dot on half of the ricotta mixture and spread out evenly.
- Add half of the Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
- Add another 2⅓ cups of sauce mixture
- Add an additional ⅓ of the uncooked penne.
- Dot on the remaining ricotta and spread out.
- Sprinkle on the remaining parmesan cheese (1 cup)
- Add the last ⅓ of the uncooked penne.
- Top with the remaining 2⅓ cups of sauce mixture
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until pasta is al dente (we cooked ours for around 2½ hours)
- During the last few minutes, add asiago cheese (or sub mozzarella) to the top and allow to melt
- Serve alone or topped with red pepper flakes and served with garlic bread
*Note – since the noodles use the sauce to cook in, the pasta may become a little dry once reheated. We just added a bit more pasta sauce when reheating and it was perfect!
*If you can’t find Mezzetta, just substitute with the same quantity of your favorite jarred pasta sauce!