- 2 pounds sweet or tart apples (about 5 large or 9 small apples), chopped into 1-inch pieces – peeling is optional
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, more or less to taste
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg
- juice from half a lemon (1-2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Generously grease the bowl of a slow cooker (a deep 3-quart one works well).
- Toss the apples, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice in a large bowl, then add the oats and stir again. Pour into the greased slow cooker insert.
- Either in the same bowl or a new one, whisk the eggs into the milk until the mixture is very smooth. Add the water and whisk again. Pour over the apple-oat mixture.
- Cook on low for 6-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Cook time will vary considerably according to brand and size of slow cooker, so if you don’t like crispy edges on your oatmeal, make this recipe for the first time during the day when you can gauge the progress of the oatmeal.
- To caramelize the apples more, skip the tossing step at the beginning and instead, layer the apples, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and oats in the greased insert (in that order) and do not stir.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, and water as described and pour over the layered apples and cook as directed.