- 2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian)
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
For the Roux:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, basil, salt, pepper, heavy cream and vegetable or chicken broth to your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (although it can be done on high for 2 hours as well). Stir occasionally and scrape down the sides (if you can).
- minutes before serving, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to crockpot.
- Make your roux by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it’s incorporated. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream until the cream is smooth and thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese and roux to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes. Cheese should be completely melted into the soup. Stir thoroughly before serving. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and basil if desired.
You Might Also Like:
Make sure you’re following The topslowcookers.com for the latest recipes!
Facebook | Pinterest