For the Soup
- 2 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 2-in. piece fresh ginger, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 4 c. vegetable stock
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, optional
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/3 c. fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Chopped roasted salted peanuts, for garnish
For the Smoky Pita Chips
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Chopped Garlic Clove
- 3/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 6-in. pitas, split
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- Combine sweet potatoes, onion, 3 chopped garlic cloves, ginger, stock, tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon (if desired), 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender on low for 7 to 8 hours or high 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Discard ginger. Add peanut butter and cilantro and stir until combined. Using a blender or immersion blender, process until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with cilantro and peanuts, and Smoky Pita Chips alongside.
- Make the Smoky Pita Chips: Combine olive oil, garlic, and paprika in a bowl. Brush over pitas. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees F until toasted and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Break into chips.