- 1 onion, diced or thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (I used yellow)
- 1 mild red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g tin black beans, drained (240g, or ~ 1¼ cups, when drained)
- 215g (~ 1 cup) uncooked brown rice
- 400g tin (~ 1½ cups) chopped tomatoes
- 150ml (~ ½ cup) water
- 1 tbsp chipotle hot sauce (or other favourite hot sauce)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Black pepper
- To serve, your choice of: grated cheese, fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped spring onions, sliced avocado, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
- Add all the burrito bowl ingredients (not toppings) to a slow cooker – mine is 4.7 litres / 4 quarts. Mix well.
- Cook on low for around 3 hours, or until the rice is cooked.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings.