- 2 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over for stones or debris
- 6 cups water (enough to cover beans plus 2 inches)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
Minutes to Prepare: 5 | Minutes to Cook: 480
Rinse pinto beans thoroughly with cold water.
Mix in salt.
Transfer beans into slow cooker.
Add enough water to cover the beans by two inches.
Add the pepper, onions and garlic.
Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours, or until most of the water has been soaked up.
Use a potato masher to acheive a refried bean consistency. Serve warm.
*Note* Since temperatures and sizes differ in slow cookers, some experimentation with cooking times may be necessary.
Servings Per Recipe: 8 | Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories 64.1
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 408.2 mg
- Potassium 223.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g