- 4 slices center cut bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups diced red potatoes or frozen hash browns (I used yukon golds)
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces cooked and peeled small shrimp
- 12 ounces 2% evaporated milk
- Chopped chives
- In a small skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain the bacon and set it aside.
- Add the chopped onions to the bacon drippings in the skillet and cook, stirring often, just until they soften.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to the slow cooker. (I used my 4-Quart but a 3-1/2 Quart would be ideal.)
- Add the potatoes, corn, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, pepper and water to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours, until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the shrimp and evaporated milk. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes more.
- Just before serving stir in chives and reserved cooked bacon.
Nutrition Estimates Per Serving (1-1/3 cups): 279 calories, 7 g fat, 35 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Cooking Notes: I used a combination of smoked salmon (4 ounces) and cooked shrimp (8 ounces) instead of all shrimp. It was very good. I also pureed ½ the corn with 1 cup of the water called for before adding it to the pot. I read somewhere that this will make your corn chowders more corny tasting.